How to Cook BBQ Beef Ribs On the BGE

Ok, less of a “how-to” and more of a “how I do” beef ribs on the Egg. Being in Texas, I have a very good butcher shop within a 5 minute drive from my house so I went to pick up some meat for the weekend. They had a special on beef ribs so here we are.


Beef ribs are a bit different than your typical pork ribs like baby back. These ribs have quite a bit more meat on the bone and they tend to cook like brisket. Be careful with your temperature when smoking beef, too hot or too cool can make a big difference. Luckily, the Egg is great at keeping a steady temperature but, if you need a little help or plan on leaving your Egg unattended, check out the DigiQ by BBQ Guru.


First, I wash off the ribs and trim some fat (not too much fat because you want the flavor/juice from emulsified fat). After dabbing dry with a paper towel I put my “rub” on. With these ribs I went a more Franklin BBQ route and just used salt and pepper for the rub. I went with crushed pepper and a little bit of sea salt.

I recommend setting your temperature at 210 to 240, just be consistent. These ribs weigh a total of two and a half pounds so their cook time will be about 4 hours.

Make sure your smoke isn’t too thick and that your temperature is consistent. I put the ribs on fat side up and poured a little beer in my water pan below. Sometimes people freak out about moisture in the Egg. As long as water isn’t in the Egg before you start the fire, you should be safe. Most of the liquid evaporates before it touches any of the ceramic material. Think about the moisture from meat, it isn’t going to crack your Egg, neither will a little bit of beer in a water pan.


At about 3 hours into cooking at 210-215, I put the ribs into foil with a dousing of mustard. You can tell in the picture above that the meat has some smoke penetration and is starting to pull back from the bone. You can put on your favorite bbq sauce or any flavored liquid like apple juice with the ribs in the tin foil. I put the ribs back on for an hour or so.


The next step is to let the meat rest. I usually wrap the meat (while still in the tin foil) with a towel and put in it in a cooler to rest. This time, I just put the ribs in the tin foil in my microwave. I left them in there for about 3o minutes and they’re ready to rock.

Have a look at the end result:

Meat has pulled back from the bone further.  Nice smoke ring.  The beef still “bounces” back after a compression test. Not too done, not undercooked.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>